Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Texas A&M University
Email: chao Dot tian AT tamu DOT edu
Address: ROOM 301R, WEB Building, 3128 TAMU, College Station TX
Looking for capable MS students to work on two projects:
- Video processing using neural network: require basic understanding of neural network, video coding technology, and python programming skills.
- Data storage codes for next generation device and systems: require system programming skills. CE student preferred.
- Associate Professor, Department of ECE, Texas A&M University / Sep. 2017-present
- Associate Professor, Department of EECS, The University of Tennessee at Knoxville / Aug. 2014-Aug. 2017
- Adjunct Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University / Jan. 2011-Dec. 2013
- Member of Technical Staff-Research, AT&T Labs-Research, Florham Park (Bedminster), NJ / Oct. 2007-Jul. 2014
- Postdoctoral Researcher, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland / Sep. 2005-Sep. 2007
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering / Aug. 2005
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, Bachelor of Engineering (BE), Electronic Engineering / Jul. 2000
- 2019 NetApp Faculty Fellowship.
- 2017 IEEE Jack Wolf ISIT Best Student Paper Award (to Jie Li): For the paper “A generic transformation for optimal repair bandwidth and rebuilding access in MDS codes” in ISIT 2017.
- 2014 IEEE Data Storage Best Paper Award: For the paper “Characterizing the rate-region of the (4,3,3) exact-repair regenerating codes” in JSAC May 2014.
- AT&T Key Contributor Award: For technical contribution in AT&T / 2010, 2011, 2013.
- Liu-Memorial Award, Cornell University: For excellence in graduate study and research / 2004.
Current and Former Students
- Tao GUO, ECE, TAMU, Dec. 2018-
- Wenjing CHEN, Ph.D. program in ECE, TAMU, Fall 2019-
- Ruida ZHOU, Ph.D. program in ECE, TAMU, Fall 2018-
- Kai ZHANG, Ph.D. program in ECE, UTK/TAMU, Fall 2015-
- Tianli ZHOU, Ph.D. program in CS/CE, UTK/TAMU Fall 2015-
- Min CHENG, visiting undergraduate student, University of Science and Technology of China; TAMU, Aug. 2019-
- Zekuan Zhang, visiting undergraduate student, Southeast University (China); TAMU, Jul. 2019-Sep. 2019.
- Wenjing CHEN, visiting undergraduate student, University of Science and Technology of China; TAMU, Jul. 2018- Oct. 2018.
- Lei ZHENG, visiting Ph.D. student, Southwest Jiaotong University; TAMU, Oct. 2017-Apr. 2019
- Jie LI, visiting Ph.D. student, Southwest Jiaotong University; UTK, Oct. 2015-Oct. 2016; currently postdoctoral research at Aalto University, Finland
- Sara MOUSAVI, Master in CS, UTK Fall 2016-Fall 2017; currently Ph.D. student at UTK.
- Vineet GARG, Master in ECE, TAMU Fall 2017-Spring 2019; currently with Apple Inc..
Texas A&M University
- ECEN 681: Department seminar / Fall 2019
- ECEN 314: Signal and Systems / Fall 2019
- ECEN 489: Information Theory, Inference, and Learning / Spring 2018, Fall 2018
- ECEN 629: Applied Convex Optimization / Spring 2018, Spring 2019
- ECEN 681: ISS seminar / Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018
The University of Tennessee Knoxville
- ECE 611: Convex Optimization / Fall 2016
- ECE 342: Fundamentals of Communication / Spring 2016, Spring 2017
- ECE 644: Codng and Information Theory / Fall 2015
- ECE 342: Analog Communication, AM and FM / Fall 2014, Spring 2015
- ELEN E6884: Topics in Data Compression / Spring 2011
- ELEN E6718: Algebraic Coding Theory / Fall 2011, 2012, 2013
- ELEN E6712: Communication Theory / Spring 2013
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
- IC-62: Source Coding Theory and Practice / Winter 2006
Services and Professional Membership
- Guest Editor for Entropy–Special Issue on Information and Coding for Distributed Storage / 2018-2019
- Guest Editor for Science China–Special Issue on Distributed Storage Coding / 2018
- Editor of IEEE Transactions on Communications / Jan. 2016-present
- Associate Editor of IEEE Signal Processing Letters / Feb. 2012-Feb. 2014
IEEE Senior Member
- Elected Feb. 2012
Conference TPC Member
- ChinaCom-08, NetCod-12, NVMW-14, ISIT-15, IEEE Bigdata-Data Storage Workshop-2015,2016, ITW-2018.
- NSF Research Grant Award No. CCF-1816546: A Software Toolbox for Computing and Exploring the Fundamental Limits of Information Systems; 10/18-9/21.
- NSF Research Grant Award No. CCF-1526095 (CCF-1832309): Fundamental Limits of Information Systems: A Computational Approach; 8/15-7/19.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Research Fund: Quality-of-Service and Performance Isolation in Data Storage Systems for High Performance Computing; 3/17-2/18.
- University of Tennessee Knoxville, Scholarly Activity and Research Incentive Fund (SARIF); Fall 2016.